4.5.11

The Lipizzaners/Ενα πρωι στη Βιέννη





Browsing through my photos,the ones I have in digital form,I came across this guy:) Is he gorgeous or is he gorgeous??
Three years ago in Vienna, we were heading for some hot chocolate,when I noticed a thick glass wall on my right. And there they were!! The former palace stables of the Lipizzaner stallions!!!!
Oh the joy! We have tried to get tickets for the performance at the Spanish Riding School of Vienna, but the were sold out. I was a bit disappointed, but I thought never mind,next time.
A day later, I came face to face with this noble beauty!!!!

Αυτός ο καλλονός με κοίταξε ένα πρωινό στην Βιέννη και έμεινα άφωνη!!!
 Περνούσαμε δίπλα στο παλιό ανάκτορο, καθ΄οδόν για μια ζεστή σοκολάτα,όταν είδα έναν μεγάλο γυάλινο τοίχο στα δεξιά μου. Ήταν οι σταύλοι των περίφημων Λιπιτσάνερ, των πανέμορφων λευκών αλόγων της Ισπανικής Σχολής Ιππασίας!!!


Είχαμε επιχειρήσει να βρούμε εισιτήρια για την παράσταση της Σχολής αλλά δεν υπήρχαν. Βρήκαμε όμως εισιτήρια-πολύ πιό φτηνά-για την καθημερινή προπόνηση των αλόγων και κατα το κοινώς λεγόμενο,την κάναμε λαχείο!!

We were thrilled to learn that there were tickets for the daily dressage lessons so we went back the next day for a beautiful-horses-eye-feast :) Taking pictures was not allowed, so I browsed the net for photos and a superb video to help me tell the Lipizzaner story.


Η ράτσα δημιουργήθηκε το 1583 στην περιοχή Λίπιτσε στην σημερινή Σλοβενία, τότε μέρος της Αυτοκρατορίας των Αψβούργων. Ολα τα Λιπιτσάνερ κατάγονται από 6 επιβήτορες κι εχουν αίμα απο Αραβικά, Ανδαλουσιάνικα και Ιταλικά άλογα με μία ολίγη από βορειο-ευρωπαικές ράτσες.

The Lipizzaner story begins in 1580 when the breed was first created by the Hapsburg Dynasty in Lipizza near Trieste, Slovenia. 
(These days there are breeding farms also in Austria,Hungary,Italy ) In their ancestry there are full blooded Arabians, Spanish and Neapolitan horses. There were 6 stallions-founding fathers of the breed, from which all Lipizzaners descent: Pluto, Conversano, Neapolitano, Siglav, Maestoso and Favory.





The majestic white stallions for the famous Spanish Riding School of Vienna are bred in Pieber, Austria and the place can be visited!!!! YEY!! We'll be there sometime soon for a daily tour :))) 
All foals are born dark brown or even black and get the all snow white color between 6 and 10 years of age. They roam free till 3 years old,when they undergo thorough medical examinations. The ones with excellent health are send for training to  Vienna. 



Τα πουλάρια γεννιούνται μαύρα και αποκτούν το κατάλευκο χρώμα μεταξύ 6 και 10 ετών. Μέχρι τα τρία τους χρόνια καλπάζουν ελεύθερα κι ευτυχισμένα στην φάρμα εκτροφής στο Πίμπερ της Αυστρίας. Μετα περνάνε απο αυστηρότατες ιατρικές εξετάσεις και τα καλύτερα-μόνο αρσενικά-παίρνουν το δρόμο για να εκπαιδευτούν στην ισπανική Σχολή της Βιέννης.
Τα εξυπνότερα από αυτά γίνονται τα αστέρια των παραστάσεων.
Αλλα και οι αναβάτες περνάνε πολλά μέχρι να αποκτήσουν το δικαίωμα να εμφανιστούν μπροστά στο κοινό.


The motto of the school is 
"the more iron in the horses mouth,the less competent the rider" which sounds very wise :)
 Only the best of the best horses perform in the baroque riding school arena and of course only the best of the best riders are allowed to even ride one of the stallions.
Young boys start at 16 and spend years of training tο become a riding candidate ,then a rider, then a chief rider. As I learned while posting this, in 2007  girls were admitted  for the first time as trainees in the School!

The arena performances were once held only for the Imperil court .Μια φορά κι έναν καιρό οι παραστάσεις της Σχολής δίνονταν μόνο για την Αυτοκρατορική Αυλή.

Οι μαθητευόμενοι ξεκινούν από τα 16 τους ξυστρίζοντας τούς "πρωταγωνιστές" :) για να γίνουν μετά υποψήφιοι αναβάτες,αναβάτες και αρχι-αναβάτες. Μόλις το 2007 έγιναν δεκτά κορίτσια στην Ισπανική Σχολή Ιππασίας.

Lipizzaners came close to extinction several times. The last danger to the breed came during the WWII, when the director of the School risked the Nazi's displeasure and transferred the stallions to  a farm in southern Austria to protect them from the shelling. 
The stallions were handed over to the advancing American army.
But the mares and the young horses were held in a Czech farm, Hostau, where all the pure-bred horses seized by the Nazis were kept.
A few weeks before the end of the war the Russian army was approaching Hostau. The commander of Riding School, Colonel Alois Podhajsky feared that more than 1.000 horses-among them 100 of the best Arabians of Europe,600 Cossack horses and the Lipizzaner mares- would be slaughtered. 



Πολλές φορές κινδύνεψε η ράτσα με πλήρη εξόντωση. Η τελευταία ήταν στον Δεύτερο Παγκόσμιο Πόλεμο. Ο διευθυντης της σχολής Συνταγματάρχης Podhajsky,αψήφησε τους Γερμανούς και έβγαλε κρυφά απο τη Βιέννη τα αρσενικά Λιπιτσανερ. Τα μετεφερε στη Νοτια Αυστρία και τα παρεδωσε στούς Αμερικανούς.Ομως,οι φοράδες ήταν μαζί με άλλα καθαρόαιμα στην Τσεχοσλοβακία.Ο Podjahsky επεισε τον Στρατηγό Πάτον-τρελλό αλογολάτρη-να οργανώσει επιχείρηση πίσω απ' τις γραμμές των Γερμανών και να τα σώσουν όλα.
Η επιχείρηση είχε γίνει ταινία (προ αμνημονεύτων,δηλαδή το 1963) από την Disney.
Και τώρα το βιντεο που "δανειστηκα" απο το YouTube. Απολαύστε!!!! :))

The story of how all the horses were rescued by General Patton and the 8th Cavalry Brigade-with the secret help of some horse-loving German officers- was nicely told  in "The miracle of the white stallions" movie by Disney...many years ago :)
Now I leave you to enjoy the best video I found in you-tube from a Spanish Riding School performance !!!!!




*Οι φιγουρες που εκτελεί τό άλογο μόνο του,με τον αναβάτη να το κρατάει απλώς, είναι γιά τα εξυπνότερα απο τα Λιπιτσάνερ...τα μεγάλα αστέρια!


*Only the cleverest of the horses can perform the so called "long rein" dances without the rider.

2 comments:

  1. What a super post about Lipizanners! :) They are just such amazing horses. I haven't been to the Spanish Riding School, though I would love to some day. I have gotten to see many Lipizzaners in different shows during my life, and they are just incredible. I have even gotten to pet some. Such regal horses. I have always love dressage and my favorite sport to watch is the Three Day Event, which is Show Jumping, Cross-Country, and Dressage. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eventing) I have the ultimate respect for these horses and their riders (when the riders are kind and respectful to their horses only!). English riding is my favorite style of riding, but Western-style riding also has its own form of dressage, called "reining" but the skills are not nearly as precise or skilled as dressage.

    I have always loved horses, and I am crazy about horses with spots. One of my all-time favorites is the beautiful stallion, Art Deco, who is also a master at dressage...take a look!
    http://www.silverwoodfarm.com/artdeco.html
    On the left side, near the bottom you can see a few video clips of him doing two different dresage movements, the extended trot and the pirouette. Isn't he just AMAZING!?!! (If you want to fall over, look to see the prices for his babies...EEEEEE!!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in awe of horses.I firmly believe civilazation as we know it would never have existed without domesticating the horse.
    I m left speechless when I see them gallop,I simply adore the curve of their proud necks,but...the closest I've ever been to a horse was in London when I asked a mounted policeman permisson to stroke his horse's head.Now how pathetic is this for a horse lover? :]
    I'm a city girl*snif* so I've never had the expirience of riding a horse...well,it's never too late I guess. It's in my bucket list,so one day I'll manage to do it.
    I looked Art Deco up.Superb!!! Such a combination af strength and grace!!!I watched him trotting!!!Oh la la...He was floating some inches above the ground :] I couldn't see the price for his offsprings,but I guess it's like buying a penthouse lol.

    PS I have to confess, I watched parts of the 1963 movie in you tube last night,just to see the Lipizzaners gallop through the fields and perform ;]
    Next time in Vienna I'll have the tickets for the performance booked.

    ReplyDelete