28.10.11

A "NO" day like no other !





It thrills me when something happens for the first time ever!!
It feels like witnessing an important turning point!!
And today,for the first time in more than 60 years,the customary army parade in Thessaloniki has been cancelled!!!






More than 20.000 people booed the President of Greece-who felt insulted and left!
One of the most uplifting sights in years:Anonymus citizens on the officials' seats cheering the marching troops :))

In other major cities-where the students and not the troops march-some parades took place but the youth refused to salute the representatives of the government and the state.
They either turned their faces away from them or raised their fists holding a black ribbon.


ΒΙΝΤΕΟ: Μεγαλειώδης παρέλαση παρά την απαγόρευση της Περιφέρειας στην Σύρο

The only place the students parade took place normaly was in Syros,capital of Cyclades.The parade had been cancelled by the authorities,so... the people staged it themselves and had a wonderful time :)

In Florina city a coffin took part in the students parade!!!





P.S The "No" day is one of the two major national celebration days in Greece. On the 28th of October 1940 Greece answered "No" to an Italian ultimatum to open it's borders to the Axis's troops.
P.S2 A political storm has just hit Athens! This winter will be interesting !
P.S3 A ray of sunshine: One of my favorite songs by Stamatis Kraounakis "With New Wings". It was used in a WWII era tv movie a decade ago.I thank the person who uploaded it.
"The storm will pass,
spring will be here again 
dressed in blue and white
and I will rest in your arms again
under a palm tree 
near the waves"



4 comments:

  1. Wow, the winds of change blow hard in Greece, but they aren't blowing hard enough, are they?! Thanks for the interesting post and pictures! I hope things improve for you and your country soon!

    BTW, ty for your visits to my Facebook and Flickr pages! It's always nice to see that you've stopped by! *hugs* Oh, if you go to my Flickr page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfhipchick/) you'll see that I've started putting up my pumpkin patch pictures! Halloween is on Monday and I have so many new pictures to post!! *big hugs Desi, to you and your husband and all of your kitties!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I do hope you are keeping well, we miss your blogs! Wanted to wish you a very Happy Christmas and New Year, hope you find the time to let us know how things are in your part of the world. Take care xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY HOLIDAYS, DESI!!! :)

    Here is my online holiday card! (there are two more there as well!)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfhipchick/6557598663/in/photostream

    Missing you very much, I hope you have a lovely Christmas and a happy new year!

    *hugs*
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so pleased to hear from you on my blog, and glad you are ok. I can understand needing the time to re-charge the batteries! You take as long as you need I am sure I will still be around! Wishing you a great 2012 too, mine started not so good, it can only get better....I hope lol Take Care xxxx

    ReplyDelete